Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Weekday Dinner Red Wine Pairings

Late Winter - Early Spring Wines

The temperatures are still below freezing most days here in Upstate New York and I find myself cooking in the evening, after the sun has set. I'm dreaming of spring temperatures, but snow is still on the ground.

What to drink?

For weekday meals, I need an inexpensive wine that can serve as both a match for my dinner and a pairing for simple appetizers I am snacking on while I prepare dinner.

Here are three choices that I have enjoyed lately -

Bogle Merlot - My boyfriend Arun picked up this wine, and I enjoy it's oaky notes and red berry flavor as much with dinner as I do by itself. I keep a bottle of this on hand as my 'crazy day at work must have a half glass immediately upon arriving home' wine. I also enjoy a glass with Kashi pizzas, especially the mushroom trio, though cheese or tomato based pizza is also a pleasant pairing.

'Alchemy' from Hunt Country Vineyards in Branchport, NY. I purchased this wine at Capital Wine and Spirits in Albany. Alchemy is mostly Cab Franc and Merlot, full details are here.

I was very impressed with this wine. I love Cab Franc from the Finger Lakes, but am wary of any other red wine. I need to get over my fears and explore more red wines from the Finger Lakes, because this one was well balanced and delicious. I brought the bottle to a potluck party. Hunt Country offers recipe pairings for many of their wines on their website.

And a sparkler - Gruet Methode Champenoise Brut from New Mexico. I buy this at Empire Wine in Colonie.

What does New Mexico know about wine making? Apparently alot, as this wine is elegant and quite tasty! I would recommend this wine as an everyday celebration wine, and a gift. I would also bring this wine to a potluck, the idea of sparkling wine from New Mexico is a conversation starter and when your friends find out the price, they will thank you for spilling your sparkling wine secret!



Most-read Articles:
Best Red Wine and Appetizer Pairings - Click here
How to serve Brie and Camembert Cheese - Click Here

3 comments:

sewa mobil said...

Nice article, thanks for the information.

Wine Tour said...

Nice review indeed! This somehow would help me filling my hunger for wines since it is an inexpensive one. I will definitely try this and if I like the taste I will definitely add this on my daily meal.

Larry Manchester said...

Love the article especially regarding Pinot Noir and Merlot pairings.

Larry
www.chstrhome.com