Thursday, January 10, 2008
Wine and Fish Pairing Guide - How to Match Wine and Fish
Pairing Wine and Fish
I came across this great and timeless article about pairing wine and fish written by a fellow member of the Society of Wine Educators, Sheral Schowe.
• Sparkling wine with seafood appetizers, raw oysters, seafood with rich creamy sauces and spicy Oriental dishes.
• A light, acidic Sauvignon Blanc with light, simply prepared shrimp, oysters, clams, mussels, and mahi-mahi dishes with a simple wine sauce and fresh herbs.
• A light, slightly sweet Riesling with crisp acidity pairs with scallops, clams, pollock, grilled shrimp, calamari, trout, or baked oysters.
• A rich, buttery Chardonnay with a seafood dish with a warm, rich, buttery or creamy sauce. Schowe also recommends Chardonnay with lobster, crab, tuna, swordfish, or shark.
• Rose wines match well with Cajun and other spicy preparations including barbecue sauce and other tomato-based sauces. A great match would be a grilled salmon with a barbecue teriyaki glaze or Cajun shrimp.
• Light to medium bodied, low tannin red wines like Merlot and Pinot Noir can be served with meatier fishes, such as sturgeon, tuna, shark, and swordfish.
Wine pairing for a simple tuna noodle dish
White Burgundy Wine Pairing for Sauteed Cod
Shark and Wine Pairing
Did you like this article? Click HERE to Subscribe to Kathleen Lisson's FREE Wine and Food Pairing Tips by Email.
- ► 2010 (18)
- ► 2009 (100)
- Three Barolo food and wine pairings
- How to make wine based cocktails and warm winter d...
- Petite Sirah and Pork Tenderloin pairing
- Three Pairing Ideas from a Yono's Wine and Food Ta...
- Recommended reading for my upcoming wine class
- What is Umami? Benefits of the Umami diet
- Wine and Food Pairings Straight from the Sommelier...
- How to serve Brie and Camembert cheese
- Italian food and wine pairing
- Wine Dinner Food and Wine Pairings
- How to Crimp Salmon - Recipe and Pinot Noir wine p...
- How to Learn More About Wine
- Food and Wine Pairings with the Top Five 'Health' ...
- Riesling and Cheese Pairing
- How to Pick a New Wine to Try - Use the Wines You ...
- Red wine is good for your health!
- Brussels Sprouts Recipe and Wine Pairing
- Two Thai Food and Wine Pairings
- NYC restaurant Cru Sommelier offers food and wine ...
- Wine and Pizza Pairing
- eBook Review: How to Taste Like a Wine Geek
- How many wine glasses for a wine dinner and a deca...
- Free Wine Class January 24th at 7 pm
- Wine Friendly Spices - Season your food for a perf...
- Wine and Fish Pairing Guide - How to Match Wine an...
- Wine Spectator: Pairing Wines with a Cheese, Foie ...
- Wine Spectator 2007 Vintage Guide - Exciting News ...
- How to Decant an Older Bottle of Wine
- Andrea Immer wine and food pairing: My favorite S...
- Capital Region Eat Local Fans: Some Dates for Your...
- Recipe and Wine Pairing for Indian, Seafood and Th...
- Spaghetti Bolognese food and wine pairing
- What to serve for dinner with Spanish Rioja Wine
- Pairing Wines with Superbowl Snacks
- A simple food and wine pairing for a quiet evening...
- How to Choose a Wine Glass for your next wine and ...
- Choosing the right wine glass
- Food and Wine Pairing - Poached Pears
- ▼ January (38)