New York Times wine columnist Eric Asimov recently recounted a wine dinner he attended featuring the nebbiolo-based Italian wines of Barolo in the article 'A Fine Day for Giants and Barolos.' Food pairings included antipasti, several pasta courses and a main course of goat braised in Barolo.
In the article, Asimov explained that, "Barolo is often called a wine for intellectuals, and I suppose I can understand why. Something in the tannic austerity of a young Barolo suggests a wine that holds you at a distance, that must be pondered to be understood."
He goes on to explain, "Even more so than Burgundy, though, Barolo is a wine of mystery. It is made entirely from the nebbiolo grape, which flourishes almost exclusively in the Piedmont region of northwest Italy. Unlike with pinot noir, cabernet sauvignon and syrah, nobody has come close to achieving a great nebbiolo wine anywhere else in the world."
I greatly enjoy Nebbiolo wines, and pour myself a well-decanted glass with spaghetti and a tomato sauce that's heavy on the black olives. Other pairing suggestions include roast game, beef, steaks and meaty stews.
ItalianMade.com, the website of the Italian Trade Commission, features a recipe for BRASATO AL BAROLO or Braised Beef with Barolo, featuring top round beef, carrot, onions, celery, garlic, spices and a bottle of Barolo. The recipe is here:
Red Wine is Good for Your Health
Did you like this article? Click HERE to Subscribe to Kathleen Lisson's FREE Wine and Food Pairing Tips by Email.
- ► 2010 (18)
- ► 2009 (100)
- Three Barolo food and wine pairings
- How to make wine based cocktails and warm winter d...
- Petite Sirah and Pork Tenderloin pairing
- Three Pairing Ideas from a Yono's Wine and Food Ta...
- Recommended reading for my upcoming wine class
- What is Umami? Benefits of the Umami diet
- Wine and Food Pairings Straight from the Sommelier...
- How to serve Brie and Camembert cheese
- Italian food and wine pairing
- Wine Dinner Food and Wine Pairings
- How to Crimp Salmon - Recipe and Pinot Noir wine p...
- How to Learn More About Wine
- Food and Wine Pairings with the Top Five 'Health' ...
- Riesling and Cheese Pairing
- How to Pick a New Wine to Try - Use the Wines You ...
- Red wine is good for your health!
- Brussels Sprouts Recipe and Wine Pairing
- Two Thai Food and Wine Pairings
- NYC restaurant Cru Sommelier offers food and wine ...
- Wine and Pizza Pairing
- eBook Review: How to Taste Like a Wine Geek
- How many wine glasses for a wine dinner and a deca...
- Free Wine Class January 24th at 7 pm
- Wine Friendly Spices - Season your food for a perf...
- Wine and Fish Pairing Guide - How to Match Wine an...
- Wine Spectator: Pairing Wines with a Cheese, Foie ...
- Wine Spectator 2007 Vintage Guide - Exciting News ...
- How to Decant an Older Bottle of Wine
- Andrea Immer wine and food pairing: My favorite S...
- Capital Region Eat Local Fans: Some Dates for Your...
- Recipe and Wine Pairing for Indian, Seafood and Th...
- Spaghetti Bolognese food and wine pairing
- What to serve for dinner with Spanish Rioja Wine
- Pairing Wines with Superbowl Snacks
- A simple food and wine pairing for a quiet evening...
- How to Choose a Wine Glass for your next wine and ...
- Choosing the right wine glass
- Food and Wine Pairing - Poached Pears
- ▼ January (38)