Thursday, December 13, 2007

Wine Blogging Wednesday - Petite Sirah and ... Tofurky deli slices?

Our mission this month for Wine Blogging Wednesday? Try a Petite Sirah.

I love Petite Sirah, it's one of my oldest wine memories from way back
in my California days. The name Petite Sirah is a synonym for Durif.
In the late 1800s, Dr. Francois Durif crossed Syrah and Peloursin in
the Rhone region of France, and called it Petite Syrah. I tried a
$13.99 2005 Bogle Vineyards Petite Sirah from California. This 13.5%
alcohol wine, loaded with black fruit and black pepper aromas,
reminded me of warm summer evenings on a redwood deck in Northern California.

Petite Sirah Food and Wine Pairing

The fine folks at Bogle suggest serving their Petite Sirah with rich
meat dishes of lamb, pork or game and their hearty sauces, and the
fine folks at P.S. I Love You, a Petite sirah Advocacy group, have a
treasure trove of Petite Sirah food and wine matching recipes here:
http://www.psiloveyou.org/recipes.php
including recipes for meatloaf, bar-b-que pork loin, porterhouse
steak, smoked buffalo bratwurst, wild boar, spicy beef stew and "the
best duck ever."

I purchased the Bogle Petite Sirah from the pleasant, knowledgable
gentleman at the wine store at Stuyvesant Plaza, Albany. He
recommended it with spicy beef.

As I am a vegetarian, I instead tried my glass of wine with a few
Tufurky Italian Deli slices. A bit too spicy for me on their own, the
Tofurky deli slices paired really well with the Petite Sirah and would
make a great sandwich and wine pairing match!


Did you like this article? Click HERE to Subscribe to Kathleen Lisson's FREE Wine and Food Pairing Tips by Email.

5 comments:

Sonadora said...

Hi Kathleen, thanks for participating! I'm glad you found the PS to be a good match for your tofurky...not sure I'll take you up on that pairing, but I'm glad you had fun!

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook said...

I love that Bogle PS! Inexpensive and pretty true-to-type, IMHO. I am hardly a vegetarian, but I'd pair that PS with ratatouille or, better yet, a mixed wild mushroom ragu over homemade egg noodles! Dee-lish...

John Witherspoon said...

Hi Kathleen
I saw the synopsis of your PS post on Sonadora's sight and saw Tofurkey and couldn't believe it. I myself being a vegetarian wine lover/blogger, WHO KNEW there were two of us. haha
I had my PS with homemade veggie pizza with fake pepperoni slices and it went quite nicely.
Glad I found your blog.
John
Anything Wine

Christie said...

Count us @ 3! I also love tofurky/wine!

darby said...

Kathleen, the conventional wisdom down under is that Durif (aka PS) has to be from a warm climate, and needs meat. My contribution to WBW tries to dispel the first myth, your's (and John's) shows that the second is not necessarily so as well. I would say that most Durif wines Durif definitely need some food, though.

I've added a reference to your blog at WWWBW at http://www.squidoo.com/womenwinewriters

Cheers

Blog Archive