Wine Blogging Wednesday
I stopped by the Wine Cellar in Stuyvesant Plaza, to pick up a wine for this month’s Wine Blogging Wednesday.
Our goal this month was to taste a white Burgundy that was NOT made in the Cote D’Or. I found a bottle of Macon-Lugny Les Genievres, imported by Louis Latour, a nice Macon Villages wine and sautéed up a few raviolis for lunch on my day off.
It was a fair tasting food wine, and the oak flavors highlighted the brown sauté marks on my ravioli. Having recently returned from Napa, I could immediately contrast the sweetish, buttery new-world California Chardonnay flavors with this Burgundy wine’s lightly oaked, acidic, more restrained taste. The Macon Villages did not cover up or compete with the cheesy flavors in the ravioli like a big, up front new world wine would have, so it served well as a wine to have with food.
I suppose that Burgundy is like New York in the sense that there are two ‘hot wine regions that everyone is familiar and comfortable with. For Burgundy, it is the Cote de Nuits and the Cote de Beaune, collectively referred to as the Cote D’Or. For New York, our ‘hot’ wine regions are the Finger Lakes and Long Island AVAs. Choosing a wine from the Maconnaise or Chalonnaise in Burgundy let me recognize the fact that quality wines are produced in those areas as well. In the same spirit, I encourage New York wine lovers to try wines from the Niagara, Hudson Valley and Thousand Islands-Seaway wine regions.
I would like to thank the Brooklyn Guy’s blog for this eye-opening education! View more about Wine Blogging Wednesday here: http://brooklynguyloveswine.blogspot.com/
Thursday, November 15, 2007
- November (2)
- October (5)
- September (8)
- August (7)
- July (8)
- June (6)
- May (11)
- April (10)
- March (17)
- February (12)
- January (14)
- December (7)
- November (12)
- October (7)
- September (15)
- August (20)
- July (15)
- June (20)
- May (27)
- April (24)
- March (29)
- February (36)
- January (38)
- December (23)
- Be the That-Amazing-Dip Guy (or Lady) this holiday...
- Recipe Blogs and Food Blogs - the New 'Gourmet' In...
- Get to Know Portuguese Wine
- Video Review – Washington State; Get the Dirt on W...
- Wine Gizmos on your gift giving list?
- Easy Rules for Wine and Cheese Pairing
- THE Thanksgiving wine and food pairing article
- Wine and Food Pairing Tips from CIA Grad and Perso...
- Spice up Dinner!
- Wine Blogging Wednesday - White Burgundy
- How to choose wines for Thanksgiving Dinner – Frie...
- Italian for Dinner and a Sicilian Wine?
- How to match wine with Umami foods
- Alaskan Seafood and that bottle of white wine in y...
- Video Review - Enjoying Wine with Mark Phillips
- How to Buy Bordeaux http://www.washingtonpost.co...
- October (9)
- September (6)